The Aberlour is a distillery of Speyside single malt Scotch whisky, in Aberlour, Strathspey, Scotland. Furthermore, it is situated at the junction of the rivers Lour and Spey. In fact, we draw pure spring water from the Lour to make the whisky. No doubt, the maturing spirit in the warehouse beneficially inhales the moist Speyside air.
Aberlour is an ancient place as well as a beautiful one. It has been there for more than 1,400 years. In addition, it signs of its long heritage are all around. It is from the age-old oak trees above Linn Falls to the mysterious standing stones on Fairy Hill.
James Fleming founded the distillery in 1879. Next, he shrewdly built it on the site of St Drostan’s Well. Alfred Barnard, the journalist, visited Aberlour in the 1880s to survey Scottish whisky distilleries. He described James Fleming’s new establishment as a “perfect modern Distillery”.
In 1898, a fire destroyed several of the distillery buildings and most of the whisky stocks. However, the Scotland’s foremost designer of whisky distilleries, Charles Doig of Elgin rebuilt it.
Over the past 100 years, the landscape of the distillery has inevitably altered with modernisation and technology. Although many of the original features are still there and the traditional working character of the place remains unchanged.