FROM THE BEST DRAM IN THE VALLEY TO THE MOST AWARDED SINGLE MALT WHISKY IN THE WORLD
In fact, William Grant founded our distillery in 1887. However, our story is still being written today.
Furthermore, being a family run has always allowed us to do things our own way. Few men have built their own distillery with their own bare hands. Nevertheless, that’s exactly how William Grant started writing our story.
Rare skills, specialist knowledge and some of the oldest wisdom in the world of whisky have been passed down through the generations by our master craftsmen
- The finest American oak and Spanish Oloroso oak casks are hand selected by our Head Cooper.
- The casks are mellowed by years of previous use. The American oak once held bourbon. The European oak held fine sherry.
- Our oak is toasted or charred to caramelise its wood sugars and open up the oak’s flavour-giving properties.
- Robbie Dhu spring water is added to our new-make spirit to 63.5% alcohol, and our casks are filled.
- Casks spend long years in our dark, damp warehouses, breathing in Highland air. Maturing a single malt imbued with the character of our glen.
- Watched over by our warehousemen, our casks wait patiently until they are primed for bottling.