Because the fruit was picked so clean with the selevtive harvester we were able to tip the individual parcels directly into a small open top fermenter without putting the fruit through a traditional crusher destemmer. After a few days, as the fruit warmed up and the wild ferment kicked in, we started working the cap by hand for soft tannin extraction and aeration. Ferment temperatures were maintained around 28 degrees. After some extended skin contact the wine was pressed into 50% new French oak for 16 months maturation. The barrels were then blended together and after a light egg white fining the wine was bottled.
MORE FROM FLAMETREE >
FLAMETREE S.R.S Wilyabrup Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 / 2013
- Colour: Vibrant ruby red.
- Aroma: Blackberries, mulberry, plums, earth and dark chocolate.
- Palate: Inky dark fruits, violets and bitter chocolate.
- Finish: Wonderful fruit and oak tannin.
- Food Pairing: Red meat dishes or aperitif.