Champagne Pol Roger created their Prestige Cuvee in homage to Sir Winston Churchill mindful of the qualities that he sought in his champagne: robustness, a full-bodied character and relative maturity. The exact blend is a closely guarded family secret but it is undeniable that the composition would meet with the approval of the man to whom it is dedicated: “My tastes are simple, I am easily satisfied with the best”. Pinot Noir predominates, providing structure, breadth and robustness whilst Chardonnay contributes elegance, nesses and subtlety. Composed exclusively of grapes sourced from Grand Cru Pinot Noir and Chardonnay vineyards which were already under vine during Churchill’s lifetime, “Cuvee Sir Winston Churchill” is only made in the very best vintages and is always released later than the other vintage dated Champagnes from Pol Roger, marking Churchill’s appreciation for older wines.
POL ROGER Sir Winston Churchill 2002
- Colour: Deep golden-yellow.
- Nose: Dried fruit, toasted almond and honey.
- Palate: Boasting a powerful, rich structure, yet well-balanced with a refreshing acidity and flavourful notes of citrus fruit.
- Finish: Remarkable length, with creamy notes of butter combined with rich fruitiness of Mirabelle plum and tart, ripe pear.
- Body: Full-bodied.
- Food Pairings: Served with Parmigiano Reggiano matured for 18 months, a stuffed capon “facon demi-deuil” or sweetbreads cooked with morels.