Crognolo is named after a wild bush, Cornus, that grows abundantly on the estate. Made predominantly from Sangiovese, a traditional Tuscan variety, that produces elegant and age worthy wines, Crognolo brings together the class of Sangiovese with the complexity bestowed by aging in oak. An history of passion, devotion but above all a great love of our vineyards and their traditions.
A company philosophy based on quality research, antique knowledge, centuries-old customs, respect of the earth and its balance with the most articulate knowledge of agriculture and wine production. These values work together to create a composite story of refined harmony which is timeless, telling the story as an old tale, as those the elderly used to tell to the young, in front of the fireplace during cold winter nights. This transmission of feelings depicts how attached they are to the earth and their traditions, respect for the generations past and future. This is where our world renowned masterpiece of wine production is born.
Our vineyards are looked after with the utmost attention to the soil and equipment. “Wine is made in the vineyard” is the antique saying of our forefathers. And its with this spirit that we create wines like the red Oreno, it holds 5th place in the Top Hundred of the Wine Spectator magazine awarded worldwide, Vigna dell Impero 1935, Vigna di Pallino and Crognolo. Whites like Anni and dessert wine such as Grisoglia. Tenuta Sette Ponti extends over 330 hectares (of which 50 are vines) in Valdarno, in the suggestive heart of Tuscany, between Florence and Arezzo, an area at the foot of the mountain which were inhabited by the Romans and Etruscans from the 8th century. Tenuta Sette Ponti takes its name from the number of bridges over the Arno -seven in number- between these two Tuscan cities.
The most famous of these, Buriano, on the border of the estate, was constructed between 1240 and 1277. In the background we can see two of Leonardo de Vinci’s great masterpieces, Gioconda and Madonna dei Fusi. It has been one of the properties of the Moretti Cuseri family since the 50’s, when the architect Alberto Moretti Cuseri, attracted by the hunting ground and the game (boar, fallow deer, pheasants, hares and rare yellow deer), bought the first 60 hectares directly from Princess Margherita and Maria Cristina di Savoia d’Aosta, daughters of Vittorio Emanuele III, King of Italy from 1900 to 1946. The two princesses, in their turn, had purchased the property from the Grand Duke Leopoldo d’Asburgo, to whom we can attribute the creation of the Vigna di Pallino at the early 19th century.